There is nothing like fresh made basil pesto. This is one of those things that even the beginner chef can do because there is absolutely no cooking involved! Just follow the recipe and you will have an amazing pesto sauce that you can use for any poultry or fish. Plus, the health benefits of the key ingredient found in this recipe, extra virgin olive oil, is good for everyone, especially those with chronic inflammation, which is thought to be a leading driver of diseases, such as cancer, heart disease, metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes, Alzheimer’s, arthritis and obesity and even acne.Extra-virgin olive oil can reduce inflammation, which may be one of the main reasons for its health benefits.
- 1/4 cup pine nuts I have also used pumpkin seeds and toasted walnuts, both good options.
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 2 TBSP grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 TBSP grated Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Put pine nuts and garlic in food processor or blender and process until minced.
- Add basil and cheeses. Process until finely minced.
- With processor or blender on, slowly pour oil through the food chute. Process until well blended.
- Spoon onto small container and store in refrigerator, or spoon into ice cube trays and freeze. Once frozen, place in airtight container for easy additions to any poultry or fish dish.Yield 1/2 cup